Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Hola from Cuba!

Cuban flag waving

So what's up with the updates here?

Well, Siggy is not much for blogging. He's busy updating the playlist. I am entering the second and final week in Habana, Cuba, where I spend my days staying alive in the heat and humidity and trying to learn the basics of the Spanis language as spoken in Cuba.

Not enough time to write here, but I have a couple of minutes to spare and will do my best.

You can get online in hotels for a decent sum of money. Roughly 6 dollars an hour. Cuba and Habana is as close to visiting another planet as you get. At least if you're from Sweden/Europe. So much different and so many strange things all around you. I'll probably fill you in a bit more later, but living in a "casa particular" - i.e. private home - is one step closer to at least get a whiff of the real Cuba/Habana.

The thing that will scare the tourists away are the "jineteros" = hustlers on the streets. You can rarely walk more than 10 minutes before somebodey asks you where you're from and when you answer "Sweden" they say "Aha! Estocholma!" and then start to ramble the same keywords that must be working as everybody seem to use the same scam; Hemingway, Mojito, cigars, Buena Vista Social Club and help me buy some milk to my kid/my sisters kid.

You can end up spendning a whole lot of money in a bar paying a lot more than you should for drinks. Find yourself with below average cigars you've just bought. All because these hustlers are so friendly and suck you in just like that.

Musically Cuba has a lot to offer. I couldn't tell a trova from a son or a rhumba, but promise to bring back at least a couple of tracks fit to get played on RadioDupree eventually.

Enjoy what's spinning on the station right now and I'll (try to) steer clear of the jineteros and wing my way back home in a week or two.

Adios!

No comments: