Tuesday, October 31, 2006
And after the theme song a longer clip. Seven minutes of 60's sitcom...
We are celebrating with some scary Halloween music. Just the other day we uploaded a bunch of such tunes. And you listeners seem to appreciate it.
Five of the ten most popular songs on Radio Dupree right now are tunes with a unmistaken Halloween flavor (*):
1. The Fiends - Theme From Addams Family (*)
2. Frank Zappa - Goblin Girl (*)
3. Donald Fagen - I.G.Y.
4. Captain Beefheart - When I See Mommy I Feel Like A Mummy (*)
5. G Duke / B Cobham - Juicy
6. Jukon Speakers - Give Me Love
7. Frank Zappa - The Radio Is Broken
8. Tom Jones - Ghost Riders In The Sky (*)
9. Pink Floyd - Fat Old Sun
10. Frank Zappa - The Torture Never Stops (a traditional Halloween number) - As An Am (*)
Monday, October 30, 2006
New and old stuff from Sparks will probably appear on the playlist faster than you can catch a rat. Whatever that means.
Friday, October 27, 2006
Sara Isaksson & Rebecka Törnqvists album of Steely Dan songs enters the Swedish sales chart this week at 22. Congratulations to Sara & Rebecka! And to Lars and all the others who played on the record.
Don't forget that we' re giving away three copies of the album. Here's more about the giveaway.
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
1. Cornelius Bumpus - Jupiter Spin - Known Fact
2. Rosie Vela - Interlude - Zazu
3. Steve Khan & Donald Fagen - Reflections - That's The Way I Feel Now - A Tribute To Thelonious Monk
4. Steely Dan - Mock Turtle Song - Catalyst (Demos)
5. The Push Stars - Bad Sneakers - Me, Mysel & Irene
6. The Joe Roccisano Orchestra - Blue Lou - Glengarry Glen Ross Soundtrack
7. Smash Mouth - Do It Again - Me, Myself & Irene
8. They Might Be Giants - 25 O'Clock - A Testimonial Dinner: The Songs Of XTC
9. The Rembrandts - Making Plans For Nigel - A Testimonial Dinner:The Songs Of XTC
10. Sun Ra - The Perfect Man - Greatest Hits
11. Weather Report - Pinocchio - Mr. Gone
12. Weather Report - River People - Mr. Gone
13. E.S.T. - Tuesday Wonderland (Radio Edit) - Tuesday Wonderland
14. Rickie Lee Jones - Have You Had Enough - MySpace free download
15. Utopia - Junk Rock (Million Monkeys) - Swing To The Right
16. Utopia - Lysistrata - Swing To The Right
17. David Bowie - This Is Not America - BBC Radio Theatre, London, June 27, 2000
18. David Bowie - Thru' These Architechts Eyes - 1. Outside
19. Johnny "Guitar" Watson - Broke And Lonely - The Very Best Of
20. Wilco - Jesus, Etc. - Kicking Television: Live In Chicago
21. Lindsey Buckingham - September Song - Law & Order
22. Viktoria Tolstoy - Strollin' - Pictures Of Me
23. Michael Leonhart - Suzy Lattimore - The Suzy Lattimore ep
24. The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night - Anthology 1
25. Electric Light Orchestra - Mr Blue Sky - Out Of The Blue
26. Frank Zappa - Yo Mama - Sheik Yerbouti
27. David Bowie - Rock'n'Roll Suicide - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
28. John McLaughlin And Mahavishnu - Florianapolis - Adventures In Radioland
29. Hawk On Flight - To Be Or Not To Bop - Bermuda Triangle
30. Lars Hollmer - Kamelsväng - XII Sibiriska Cyklar
Friday, October 20, 2006
FIRE IN THE HOLE - SARA ISAKSSON & REBECKA TÖRNQVIST SING STEELY DAN
We went to the record store and bought it, just to give it away to YOU! Why? Because we think it's a great album and we think that more people living outside of Sweden should get a chance to hear it.
What does it sound like? Well, you can go here and scroll down a bit and press the play button to hear a few short excerpts. If you're a Steely Dan fan or not is of no importance. If you like what ou hear you can enter the giveaway just by sendning us your address in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
* * * UPDATE NOVEMBER 2! * * *
All three winners have been picked. We didn't see the meaning in postponing the draw of the second and third winner, so...
We got three albums to give away for free. But hurry up! We'll pick a first winner October 31.
P.S. With the exception of our first giveaway all the rest have been sound and surefire misses as far as winners go. Not one person entered. Why? All that's been needed to enter has been an email with an address and that's it. Maybe that's been seen as too easy? Haven't felt like a proper competition? Should we perhaps have added some questions or such you have to answer to win? OK. Let's try that this time around. Let's se... To enter the giveaway you email us and include your favourite answer to whatever question you see choose. OK? OK!
Monday, October 16, 2006
Like its namesake, the Nokia 8800 Sirocco Edition consists of two variants - light and dark, the light inspired by the hot, dry air mass, the dark by the cooler, humid one.
And as it blows, the powerful sirocco makes its own unique sound - a composition from nature caused by two air masses colliding. With nature as his inspiration, Brian Eno, the world renowned music composer and ambient music innovator, has created a unique 'sonic texture' that is organic, calm and highly evolved. It has an otherworldly feel - comprised of notes created by instruments that Eno has selected and 'synthesized' himself.Makes you wanna run down to the nearest dealer to expose yourself to this apparently otherwordly experience... ;-)
You have to admire the PR departments way with words. Trying to catch the poetry in technology. If they managed to this time? You be the judge. But I know that I'd like to hear the "sonic texture" even if it comes across sounding like a handful of leaking flutes.
Thursday, October 12, 2006
The record label site is now up and running. So far just a couple of pics and a short text, but hopefully soon with soundbites and other stuff as the release of the album is next week.
(Pic of Rebecka & Sara borrowed from Moule Recordings site.)
Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Held in San Francisco TEC stands for "Technical Excellence & Creativity". The awards is - according to the official site - "the foremost program recognizing the achievements of audio professionals. Presented annually by the Mix Foundation for Excellence in Audio, the TEC Awards honor the individuals, companies and technical innovations behind the sound of recordings, films, TV shows and live performances.
TEC Awards nominations are made by a panel of industry professionals and voted upon by the subscribers of Mix, the leading trade magazine of the recording and sound production industry."
Morph competed in the category Record Production/Album and beat the other nominees:
Late Registration Kanye West.
Back Home Eric Clapton.
Good Night and Good Luck-soundtrack Dianne Reeves.
Timeless Sergio Mendes.
The award goes to Recording Engineer, Mixing Engineer, Mixing Facility, Producer, Recording Studio, Mastering Engineer and Mastering Facility. Which means the following people and places:
Recording Engineer: Elliot Scheiner, Brian Montgomery, T. J. Doherty.
Mixing Engineer: Elliot Scheiner.
Producer: Donald Fagen.
Mastering Engineer: Darcy Proper.
Mixing Facility: Avatar Studios, NYC.
Mastering Facility: Sony Mastering, NYC.
Recording Studios: Avatar Studios, Clinton Recording Studios, Sear Sound, NYC, Sugar Sound, Kauai, HI.
No pics of any of the above Morph-people on the Awards site, but seeing as Elliot was there giving an award away, I suspect he collected Donald's together with his own and ducked back into a studio somewhere.
Like we reported a month or so ago, Zappa's Trance-fusion will be out October 24. What we can show you here and now is the color cover of the CD. And can you see what shape the dolphins make?? First correct answer posted to the blog will win a set of disposable razors.
Germaine Greer presents a profile of Frank Zappa, the 70s icon of eccentric rock whose range of work included serious orchestral composition, film-making and social activism.
The programme marks the 40th anniversary of his first album Freak Out. Contributors include Gail Zappa, son Dweezil and ace guitarist Steve Vai, family friend and author Peter Occhiogrosso and Chief Executive of the Britten Sinfonia, David Butcher.
It's still available to listen to, but we don't know for how long.
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Jazzy pop. And more jazz than pop. Laidback. Gave it a spin and added a couple of tracks to the Radio D upree playlist. The song Mystery Boulevard comes with a slight Steely Dan-feel to it. At least that's what we felt when we heard it.
Friday, October 06, 2006
Sunday, October 01, 2006
Check it out and then keep an eye on this here blog the coming four weeks. It's where we'll add the new stuff.